Plant your own paperwhite bulb
Create an early spring indoors! Stop by either Library to pick up this kid-friendly activity in our Take-and-Make kits.
How to grow a paperwhite flower indoors:
- Use a clear jar (or the plastic cup included in the kit) that will allow you to see the roots as they grow.
- Put a small layer of stones on the bottom of your container 1-2″ deep.
- Place your bulbs on top of the rocks, root side down (pointy side up.)
- Put a few more stones around the bulb for support. ½ to ¾ of the bulb should be showing above the stones.
- Add water until it is just below the bottom of the bulb. Do not let your bulb stand in water; it will rot. Only the roots should be in water.
- Put the container in a well-lit area and keep it watered.
- In 4-6 weeks you should have a super spectacular white flower bloom just in time for spring indoors!